Have I mentioned how much I love online shopping?
There are so many ways to save while shopping online, I just cannot resist! These days, I try to stick to the things I “need” but non-essential items do make their way into my home as well (what do you mean a stuffed unicorn head for my daughter’s room isn’t essential!?). The only items I actually go to a store to buy are groceries, and household items. I haven’t made the jump to purchasing these items online yet, though I know this is becoming quite popular with websites like Jet.com and Amazon Pantry.
Below are my top seven reasons that you should be spending more time shopping online:
- Time Saver: Shopping online saves a ton of time! It seems like everyone is strapped for time these days. If you’re not running from store-to-store you’ve got more time to focus on the things you need/want to do. Use that extra time to do laundry, paint your nails, do some cartwheels, whatever is on your to-do list.
- The Ability to Shop Around: Just because you found an items on one particular website, doesn’t mean that’s the one you have the buy it from. Look around for a better deal. If you don’t find one, you know that you can still purchase it from the original website you found it on. Here is a great example of something I recently purchased:
There was an item I wanted to purchase from IKEA. A pair of cheap curtains, $4.99 for the pair, what a steal! However, there are no IKEA locations near me, and the shipping was $10. I refuse to pay twice the cost of an item in shipping fees. After doing a little research I learned that IKEA never offers any kind of shipping deals, bummer. So, I looked on Amazon, and what do you know, they had the same exact curtains! Yes, they were priced a little higher (around $10) because they were not sold by IKEA through Amazon, but some other distributor. I purchased the curtains. They arrived in 2 days, in their original IKEA packing and everything. I got free shipping and I still saved a few bucks! Don’t you just love Amazon? You can seriously find anything on there!
- More Variety: Don’t you just love it when you find that great item you’ve been looking for in a store? But then… you realize that they don’t have it in your size. Ugh, the agony! It’s no surprise that you have access to many more colors, sizes, and options online than in actual stores. Get online and find it. Most items in stores can also be found on the store’s website. This is especially helpful if you’re looking for a very specific item, or for sizes that can be difficult to find in stores, like super common sizes or uncommon ones like wide/narrow shoes for instance
- More Access to Coupons/Promo Codes: Sometimes, stores do give coupons that can be redeemed online. But did you know that if you don’t have a coupon, you can easily find them online?
- You can go to any search engine and search for them. I never purchase anything online until I have checked to see if there are coupon codes available. Simply type in the store/website name followed by “promo code” or “coupon code”.
- Sometimes, it’s as easy as visiting the homepage to see if the retailer is offering any promos that day. If they are, it may be advertised right on their homepage for you to see.
- You can also have codes e-mailed right to you if you sign up for the store’s e-mail list. (Check out my post, Benefits of Signing Up for E-mail Lists).
- Free Shipping (And Sometimes Free Returns):
- Free Shipping: Although I love shopping online, I despise paying shipping costs. I will do whatever it takes to NOT pay for shipping. Lucky for me and you, many sites offer free shipping every day and others offer free shipping with a minimum purchase. If I want to buy something from a website that requires a minimum purchase, I always try to think ahead, are there any birthday/holidays coming up that I need to buy gifts for? This can be a good time to stock up on Christmas gifts. Sure, I could easily spend the minimum amount on myself, but I suppose that defeats the purpose of shopping online to save money.
- Returns: Many stores offer free in-store returns, no need to send it through the mail. I personally LOVE websites that offer free returns. When returning an item, you can even schedule a pick-up right to your front door, depending on who the carrier is. Again, no need to go to the post office, FedEx or UPS. How easy is that? If you’re unsure if you should make that online purchase because of fit issues or whatnot, it may put your mind at ease to know how simple the return process can be (no peer pressure here). One of my all-time favorite online retailers is Zappos.com. They offer free shipping (fast!), free returns, and have amazing customer service! If you’re unsure of a retailer’s return policy, make sure to check it out before making your purchase.
- Read Reviews: I ALWAYS read reviews before purchasing something! I want to know what the pros and cons are, what the quality is like, and how it fits. This is all information that you cannot get shopping in a store. Can’t find reviews on the website you’re trying to purchase the item on? No problem, go directly to the manufacturer’s website or another site that sells the item and check there.
- The SAME Deals You Get in Store: Unless there is some kind of doorbuster sale, you can usually get items for the same price online as you can in-store. There have been times where I have actually purchased items cheaper online than they are priced in-store. This happened with a purchase I made just last week.
There are not enough hours in the day to do all of the things we want and need to do. Why not save your sanity, time, and a little cash and have items shipped right to your door?