Let Me Tell You About My Roommates
They’re high maintenance, sloppy, and at times a little bitchy. I love them with all of my heart but MAN do they drive me crazy. We do have a lot of fun together though, picking out outfits, doing hair, reading together, bubble baths. My least favorite thing though? Putting them to bed at night. Some days I can’t believe I’m actually a parent. I can remember being in college like it was yesterday.
Parenting vs. College Life
10 years ago, as a fresh college grad, if you were to ask me what I thought my life would be like in 10 years, I would have given you a rosey response about my career, my social life, and my husband. My response probably wouldn’t have involved any children or motherhood business of any sort. Although I always knew kids were a part of my plan, I didn’t think that far into the future.
I never fully comprehended the utter chaos that would enter my life upon having children
Some days I feel like my dog, spinning around and around in circles while she’s trying to get comfortable, only I’m walking around and around my house, chasing kids, and “tidying up” as my 3 year-old would say in her faux British accent (thanks, Peppa Pig), yet not really accomplishing anything AT ALL.
When talking to my husband recently and reminiscing about our carefree college days, I had the realization that parenting is actually a lot like college life. Some days it totally feels like we live like college students, and some days, college life seems way more glamorous than parenthood.
So, I sat down to write out my reasons why parenting is like college and I came up with even more than I thought I would. I narrowed it down to the Top 25:
Disclaimer: In the spirit of college life this post contains what my mother refers to as my “College Mouth”. Definition: Swearing like a drunken sailor every other sentence. Most prevalent after you’ve thrown back a few. If you’re offended by salty language, I suggest you skip to another post. You may want to try The Everyday Mom’s Guide to Remaining Fabulous instead.
25 Reasons Parenting is Like College
- Your house resembles a dumpster after it’s been attacked by a pack of raccoons and you’re kind of OK with it.
- You’ve thrown out Tupperware with unknown contents in lieu of washing it to prevent toxic waste contamination.
- You get excited when someone asks to see your ID (“Do you want to see my ID? I totally have it!”)
- You’ve held someone’s hair while they’re simultaneously vomiting and crying.
- You’ve gone commando when you just CAN’T EVEN with the laundry situation.
- You prepare for a night out like you’re going to the mother fucking Emmy’s.
- You’re not surprised or offended to find a naked person running through your house (only in this case, a very small person, or I’m calling 911).
- Someone peed their bed again, and it wasn’t you. 25 Reasons Parenting is like College: #8 Someone peed their bed again, and it wasn’t you #parenting Click To Tweet
- You’ve lost a shoe in public and determined that it just wasn’t worth the hassle to go back for it.
- You’re totally OK with eating that last slice of pizza that has been sitting out on the counter since last night (…or the night before? Follow your heart, don’t question it).
- Discount movie night!? They could be playing Glitter with Mariah Carey, I don’t care I’M IN!
- You live your life like a perpetually unzipped purse, losing your shit (physically and mentally) and wondering where all of your money goes.
- If you have to make the difficult decision of choosing between cooking yourself dinner or having a drink, booze wins every time, hands down.
- You’ve passed out in some precarious positions/places more times than you’d like to admit.
- You WILL jump on the dance floor the moment you hear your JAM (Shoop foreveaaa).
- Seriously, who is eating all of the damn deli meat? That shit doesn’t grow on trees!
- Sometimes your spilled drink IS worth crying over.
- A meal at a restaurant, even somewhere as mundane as Applebees is an ABSOLUTE culinary treat.
- You’re really sick of your roommates leaving their shit all over the house.
- You call your mom on the rough days when you just want to break down and cry (and sometimes you do).
- You are aware that you make some questionable choices, but we can’t all be perfect. Carpe Diem!
- A night out with your besties can cure anything. 25 Reasons Parenting is Like College: #22 A night out with your besties can cure anything Click To Tweet
- On a daily basis you wonder if it’s too early to pour yourself a glass of wine.
- You live your life in a constant state of exhaustion but you power through with the help of Dunkin’ Donuts and Red Bull. What other choice do you have?
- Your roommates drive you crazy but there is nobody in this world who makes you laugh harder, smile bigger or appreciate life more.
I know I know, I’m always saying I’m not a mom blogger, just a gal who blogs and happens to be a mom, but I had to get this off my chest. Stay tuned for more beauty post and some holiday fabulousness, YAY! Haven’t subscribed yet? Sign up on my homepage!
Now, tell me in the comments: Agree? Disagree? What number can you relate to the most? What else would you compare parenting to?Who knew Parenting would be so much like College? 25 Reasons #Parenting is like College. Click To Tweet 25 Reasons Parenting is Like College: #17 Sometimes your spilled drink IS worth crying over Click To Tweet